Watching the sunrise or set from the shores of the sea is always wonderful.
The horizon appears to be fully stretched and makes the view even more interesting.
The Aegean sea is one of the seas in the world that as a child, you should not hesitate to see.
The Aegean Sea has a lot of characteristics that are quite very fun to know.
Although there are many seas in the world we live in, only a few are recognized for their special features.
The Aegean sea is one of the recognized ones and below are a few things every child would love to know about it.
Aegean Sea Facts for Kids
- According to history, the Bronze civilization and the sea gave rise to the Aegean civilization. And the Aegean sea was where the Minoans of Crete, as well as Myceneans of Peloponnese, originated from. Even after several Greek tribes inhabited the area of the Aegean sea, the sideways served as a means of contact for several other civilizations from the Eastern region of the Mediterranean.
- The Aegean sea is located just between the regions of Greece and Turkey. And also towards the northern and western regions of the Aegean sea, you can find other popular seas.
- Traditionally, the Aegean sea was known as the Archipelago, which means “chief sea” or “main sea” in Greek. Many believed that the sea was named after the Greek town, Aegea. Also, a large number of people also believe that the Aegean sea was named after Aegeus, a father who drowned himself in that sea thinking his son, Theseus had died.
- According to researchers, the Aegean sea is known to have an average depth of 3,543 meters. This means the sea is as deep as 11,624 feet. Along with this fact, the sea is as long as 610 kilometers.
- The entire Aegean sea was naturally formed from the rapid embayment of the Mediterranean sea. Scientists claim that its current coastline dates back to 4000 BC.
- On the Aegean sea, we can find a vast number of islands. The land in many of these islands are quite very fertile and suitable for plants to grow on them. We can find wheat, vegetables, as well as berries of different kinds. Along with all of these, some of the islands are known to contain valleys and plains which produce oil, mastic, figs, and even minerals.
- Seals can be found around the shores of the Aegean sea. The fine white sand of the sea makes it comfortable for them to rest, breed, and feed overtime. Also, we can find and sight fishes of different species, as well as whales, having a joyful swim in the Aegean sea.
- The temperature of the sea’s surface ranges from about 16°C to 25°C and varies with the time of the year.
- Aegean sea is home to more than a hundred islands. Sometimes marble and iron are mined on some of these islands. Most of these islands contain volcanoes, as well as valleys. The largest of them all is the known as Crete. The island of Crete lies just at the southern end of the Aegean sea and is at equal distance between Greece and Turkey.
- The sea has many ports. Due to its safe harbours and bays, cruise ships as well as ferries can be found along the ports of the sea, which offer safe trips to the Greek Isle.
Question What Other Things Can Be Gotten From The Area Of The Sea?
Answer Honey as well as varieties of fruits can be gotten from the islands of the Aegean sea.
Question What Other Way Could The Sea Have Gotten Its Name?
Answer Researchers and historic learners suggest that the sea was named after one of the queens of the Amazons who had died in that very sea.