The Gulf of Guinea is located on the most northern region of the Atlantic Ocean.
It is situated between Cape Lopez in Gabon (to the north) and Cape Palmas in Liberia (to the east).
The Equator and Prime Meridian crosses (intersects) in the Gulf of Guinea.
Gulf of Guinea Facts for Kids
- The Gulf of Guinea covers an area of 2,350,000 kilometer square (910,000 miles).
- The coastline on the Gulf of Guinea consists of the Bight of Benin and the Bight of Biafra (or Bonny).
- The name Guinea is said to have come from Ghana. However, this is not certain because the name Guinea has been used in Southern Africa’s west coast and West Africa’s south coast.
- The following countries can be found in the Gulf of Guinea: Liberia, Nigeria, Gabon, Cameroon, Sao Tome, Angola, Congo Republic, Ghana, Togo, Ivory Coast and Equatorial Guinea.
- The main river that flows into the Gulf of Guinea is the Niger River. Another river that also flows into the gulf is the Volta River.
- The Bight of Benin, which is located along the coast of the Gulf of Guinea, has been referred to as the Slave Coast.
- The islands that can be found in the Gulf of Guinea include: Bobowasi Island, Corsico Island, Bioko Island, Elobey Grande Island, Elobey Chico Island, and Principle Island.
- The largest islands in the Gulf of Guinea form a Southwest to Northwest ring (or chain). These islands are part of the volcanoes that are known as the ‘Cameroon Line of Volcanoes.’
- Along the coast of the Gulf of Guinea is the Bight of Biafra, which stretches from the Bight of Benin to Cape Lopez.
- The Gulf of Guinea has natural resources such as offshore oil deposits and deposits of hard minerals (Gypsum, Topaz, Quartz, etc.).
- The Gulf of Guinea has low salinity because of high rainfall, along its coast, and also because of rivers that flow out from large waters such as lakes ad larger streams.
- The Gulf of Guinea has a low amount of various water plants and animals. This is as a result of the low salinity high muddy water of the gulf.
- The only region in the Gulf of Guinea with volcano activity is the Island Arc, which is parallel with Mount Cameroon on the coast of Cameroon.
- There has been a recent increase in the activities of pirates in the Gulf of Guinea. As a result of these sad incidents, the gulf has become one of the most dangerous marine areas in the world.
1. The coastline on the Gulf of Guinea consists of the Bight of Benin and the
2. Write out three islands that can be found in the Gulf of Guinea.
3. The Gulf of Guinea is located on the most northern region of the what Ocean.
4. The only region in the Gulf of Guinea with volcano activity is the Island Arc. Yes or No.
5. The Gulf of Guinea has a low amount of various water
6. The main river that flows into the Gulf of Guinea is the what River.
7. Write out the names of seven countries that can be found in the Gulf of Guinea.