The Ionian Sea primarily flows out from the Mediterranean Sea, which is located south of the Adriatic Sea. To the north, it is connected with the Adriatic Sea by the Strait of Otranto.
The Ionian Sea separates Southern Italy, Calabria, and Sicily (to the west) from Albania (to the north) and the west coast of Greece.
The name Ionian is believed to have come from Ionians who sailed from the east. Ancient Greek writers have also connected the name to the myth of lo.
Ionian Sea Facts for Kids
- All the major islands in the Ionian Sea belong to Greece. These islands are collectively called the Ionian Islands, and they include Corfu Island, Ithaca Island, Lefkada Island, Zakynthos Island, Kefalonia Island, and Paxi Island.
- The Gulf of Taranto, a deep recess, is formed by the Ionian Sea in the southern coast of Italy between the Calabria and Apulia regions, and a number of deep narrow openings (or inlets) on the Greek coast, which includes the Gulf of Corinth.
- In ancient times the Ionian Sea was the scene of a lot of battles between Rome and Greece.
- The Ionian Islands receive enough rainfall, which makes them rich and excellent for Olive groves, Cypresses, and Wildflowers in springtime. During winter, the islands are mild and wet. But during summer, the islands are usually hot.
- The Ionian Sea has ferry routes that cross its eastern and northern portions.
- The Ionian Sea is considered to be one of the areas of the world where earthquakes occur very frequently.
- In the Ionian Sea, south of Greece, the Mediterranean Sea reaches its greatest depth of 17,280 feet (4,900 meters). It is called Calypso Deep.
- The Ionian Islands are further divided into:
† North Ionian: This area contains Paxos Island and Corfu Island, north of Lefkas.
† Inland Sea: This area is surrounded by Kefalonia, Lefkas, Zakynthos, and the Greek mainland on the east.
† South Ionian: This area extends from Zakynthos, down to the west coast of Peloponnese, to Kythira.
- Kefalonia Island is the largest island of the Ionian Islands.
- The Ionian Sea has an average temperature of 20 degrees Celsius in the month of May, and 22 degrees Celsius in the month of October.
- Various ports are located along the North, East, and West coasts the Ionian Sea.
† North Coast Ports: They are Taranto, Himara, and Saranda.
† West Coast Ports: They are Syracuse, Catania, and Messina.
† East Coast Ports: They are Parga, Astakos, Igoumenitsa, Preveza, Argostoli, Kerkyra, Pylos, and Kyparissia.
- The Ionian Sea consists of the following gulfs and strait:
† Gulf of Catania
† Gulf of Squillace
† Gulf of Kyparissia
† Gulf of Patras
† The Laconian Gulf
† The Ambracian Gulf
† The Messina Gulf
† The Strait of Messina
1. The Ionian Sea is one of the areas in the world where earthquakes occur very frequently. Yes or No.
2. In ancient times the Ionian Sea was the scene of a lot of battles between who?
3. What is the largest island of the Ionian Islands?
4. Write out three gulfs that can be found in the Ionian Sea.
5. The Ionian Sea has ferry routes that cross it’s what and what portions.
6. During summer, the Ionian Islands are usually hot. Yes or No.
7. All the major islands in the Ionian Sea are collectively called?